If you’re part of those who still ask the question – how long does it take to get a visa to India? This article is specially designed for you. As you read on, you will discover all that is needed to secure a visa to India; from the requirements, procedures involved, to precautions to be taking in order not to mar the process.
In recent times, India has grown to become one of the top global tourist sites to visit. According to their Tourism Sector, a significant steady rise of influx of tourist is experienced almost on yearly basis e.g. between January 2016 and January 2017, a growth rate of 16.5% was recorded. This steady and increase in tourists’ influx has generated a whole lot of curiosity among those who haven’t visited India, hence the need to write about the visa requirement and procedures.
Requirements for Obtaining an Indian Visa
Below is a list of documents you must have in place before applying for visa;
One would have thought of this already even without being told. Your passport should:
- Be authentic, signed, and contain all your necessary personal information
- Have an extended validity period of 6 months beyond the duration of your proposed visit
- Have at least 2 blank pages, aside the endorsement and amendment pages
- Be intact. Make sure the pages are not altered or torn because this could hinder your application process
- A recent passport-size photograph that is not older than three months will be needed. The background should be all-white.
- The passport should have standard dimensions of 2” x 2” square
- No features of your body should be concealed, hence any head gear shouldn’t be worn (with the only exception of religious requirements).
- Application form
- After getting document 1 & 2 (listed above) ready, the next step is to fill a visa application form online
- After filling, print it out, get it signed, and bring it along to the Indian Visa Centre on the stipulated date of the visa screening.
- Ensure that the form is printed single-side, no double-side form would be accepted.
- If the intent of acquiring the visa is related to medical purposes, recreations or business, the whole processes (from applying to receiving the visa) can be done electronically. For more info on the electronic process, check the e-visa website.
- If you’re still not clear about the forms, you can get more instructions from this link
- The Fee involved
- This is where majority of the people are more concerned about. Visa fee could vary from standard to special fee. If you are working with any outsourcing agent, you could incur some charges from them also.
- After completing your online application, you will see an indicative amount displayed on your screen. This may differ from the final charge.
- This fee, once paid, is non-refundable, even if you withdraw your visa application.
- Some Exceptional cases
- Applicants of Nigerian, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, or Pakistani nationality need a visa application approval from the Government of India. This may cause the application process to be longer than usual.
- For the SAARC countries (Bangladesh, India, Afghanistan, the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, and Pakistan), citizens should endeavor to read all information from the Indian Immigration Service before commencing with any application process.
Now you can see that the documents and procedures involved for an Indian visa is not burdensome. What are you waiting for then? Get your visa quickly and come see the global rave in India.